USTA section of the year: USTA Florida
Sometimes, you just have to go back to the well for another drink.
Such is the case with our 2015 USTA Section of the Year, which is USTA Florida — the third time Florida has won TI’s Section of the Year honors (it won in 2005 and 2007).
Florida again continues to lead in so many areas, it’s hard to highlight them all. But one key to the section’s accomplishments has been how it pared down its governance structure, going from a seven-member Executive Committee plus a 17-member Board of Directors to a single nine-member Board, which greatly streamlined and focused efforts to grow the game.
The section has also championed “Masters Tennis,” an adult short-court program using ROG that continues to spread to other parts of the country. USTA Florida’s “Tenis Para Todos” diversity initiative was so successful that USTA national has picked up the name and website for a national launch. To encourage 10 and under tournament players, the section introduced an innovative Youth Tournament Pathway.
Four years ago, the section partnered with the USPTA Florida Section to grow the game, and this year, it partnered with the PTR to provide scholarships for coaches of diverse backgrounds or those working with diverse populations. “With our partnership with USPTA and … PTR, we will become even stronger in our efforts to get more people in the game,” says USTA Florida President Nancy Horowitz.
The list of accomplishments and innovations in USTA Florida, led by longtime Executive Director Doug Booth, are too numerous to mention. But it’s safe to say the section continues to lead in the growth of this sport. — Cynthia Sherman
Tips for Success
- Focus on promoting and growing the game together with other groups.
- Develop young teaching pros and future industry leaders.
- Partner with and leverage pro events in your area to grow the grassroots game.
- Don’t be afraid to voice or publicize an opinion or idea that may go against the “party line.”
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for Tennis Industry magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Take Full Advantage
- Industry News
- Junior Tournaments: Playing for Time
- GrassrootsTennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Futures Market
- RacquetTech: Proper Grip Installation
- Frame Outlook 2017: Frames in Mind
- Shoe Outlook 2017: Stepping Forward
- String Outlook 2017: Educational Initiative
- Apparel Outlook 2017: Mixed Company