Sales Rep of the Year: Allan Iverson
By Kent Oswald
Combine knowledge and passion and you have a good sales rep. Add decades of experience and a willingness to (literally) go the extra hundred-plus miles, and you have the 2014 Tennis Industry Sales Rep of the Year — Allan Iverson, Babolat’s sales representative in Los Angeles, Orange and Santa Barbara Counties.
Describing his connection to the game, Iverson, a USPTA P-1 with more than two decades of teaching experience, explains, “I love tennis. Starting from the first time striking a tennis ball until now, it feels great to hit the tennis ball. This led to a passion for all things tennis. From teaching to tennis equipment, I enjoy it all.”
In 2012, Iverson was Babolat’s National Salesperson of the Year. “Allan is a passionate tennis professional with high energy and excitement for the brand,” says National Sales Manager Mickey Maule.
Rich Francey, Babolat’s national key accounts manager, recalls Iverson’s evening return from a sales meeting as the start of a 125-mile round trip in southern California traffic to make sure Babolat would have representation the next day at what was an inconveniently-scheduled demo day. “He sells the brand, and his knowledge of the brand is better than anybody I have worked with,” says Francey.
Adds Cari Buck, client services manager at The Tennis Channel, “Allan is the ultimate professional, easy to work with and always there when you need him.”
— Kent Oswald
Tips for success
- Keep learning about your products.
- Understand and communicate not just the technical features, but the “brand promise.”
- Follow your passion into the marketplace, and what looks like hard work will never feel like it.
See all articles by Kent Oswald
About the Author
Kent Oswald is a contributor to TennisNow.com, producer at the JockBookReview.com and a former editor of Tennis Week magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Take Full Advantage
- Industry News
- Junior Tournaments: Playing for Time
- GrassrootsTennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Futures Market
- RacquetTech: Proper Grip Installation
- Frame Outlook 2017: Frames in Mind
- Shoe Outlook 2017: Stepping Forward
- String Outlook 2017: Educational Initiative
- Apparel Outlook 2017: Mixed Company