PTR Member of the year: Robert Carlbo
Robert Carlbo is a clear believer in education — at every level. His passion for learning about teaching tennis is clear in his résumé. In recent years, the Palm Harbor, Fla., teaching pro became certified to teach wheelchair tennis; received an Etcheberry Certification in strength, conditioning and movement in tennis; received two Swedish Tennis Association certifications; and is a USPTA certified pro.
With the PTR, Carlbo is the first, and so far only, person to complete all four PTR certification pathways, earning “Professional” ratings in each. He also earned two PTR Masters of Tennis, in Junior Development and Performance.
In presenting Carlbo with the PTR Professional of the Year award last May, the organization said that in the last year, “No PTR member has pursued education and professional development more vigorously.” It’s this passion and dedication that also makes Carlbo Tennis Industry’s 2013 PTR Member of the Year.
Carlbo grew up in Liberia, West Africa, moved to Sweden to play competitive junior tennis, attended high school in the U.S., then went to Pepperdine then Eckerd College. He played on the pro tour for a year and a half, reaching No. 429 in the world.
Now head coach of the East Lake High School boys’ tennis team, Carlbo also runs a Youth Tennis program at a local YMCA and in elementary schools, and teaches a variety of adult clinics. He also coaches some of the top juniors in Florida and is visited regularly by ATP and WTA pros. — Peter Francesconi
Tips for Success
- Never stop learning. Take advantage of all the educational opportunities that come your way.
- Do what you love. After his pro career, Carlbo took a sales job, but realized tennis was his first love.
- Give back to the game, and to others. Carlbo coaches players of all ages, abilities and levels, and also adaptive tennis, wheelchair players and wounded veterans.
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of Tennis Industry magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Take Full Advantage
- Industry News
- Junior Tournaments: Playing for Time
- GrassrootsTennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Futures Market
- RacquetTech: Proper Grip Installation
- Frame Outlook 2017: Frames in Mind
- Shoe Outlook 2017: Stepping Forward
- String Outlook 2017: Educational Initiative
- Apparel Outlook 2017: Mixed Company