USPTA member of the Year: Avis Murray
Avis Murray has received many honors for her work in tennis, including most recently the USPTA’s top annual member award — the 2013 Alex Gordon Award for Professional of the Year. And now, she can add Tennis Industry’s 2013 USPTA Member of the Year honors.
“When I started teaching, the first thing on my priority list was to join USPTA,” says Murray, of Gloucester, Mass. “I wanted so much to be a part of it. When they had a tournament in the area, I’d go play. At that time, they didn’t have a separate tourney for men and women, and it didn’t matter; I played with the men.”
In 1971, Murray was hired by the Bass Rocks Golf Club as the head tennis professional and has been there ever since. She attended her first USPTA World Conference in 1986, and has missed only two in the intervening years. “My goal was to bring back everything I learned and share it with the staff.”
A Master Professional, Murray has served the USPTA in many roles, including on the National Awards Committee, USPTA New England Board and as chair of various committees. In addition, she has served on the USTA Hall of Fame Committee. She is also a top player, earning several No. 1 rankings in singles and doubles with the USPTA.
She’s earned spots in the Gloucester High School Athletic Hall of Fame and the USTA New England Hall of Fame, had courts at two clubs named in her honor, received the New England Youth Tennis Foundation Ned Weld Award, and the AMVETS Sports Award. Additionally, the Gloucester Fisherman’s Athletic Association has named an award in her honor.
“You’re just doing what you love to do every day and giving as much as you can,” Murray says. — Peter Francesconi
Tips For Success
- Stay involved and help others in the industry as much as you can.
- Share with others who are in the same or similar situations as you’re in.
- Do what you love every day.
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of Tennis Industry magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center