Private facility of the year: Tennisclub of the Low Country at Rose Hill
What do you get when you combine two well-regarded tennis industry veterans, a dedicated staff of certified pros, and a well-maintained neighborhood club that offers tennis programs for all ages and abilities? If you’re Butch Staples and Gavin Cox, you get Tennis Industry’s Private Facility of the Year — the Tennisclub of the Low Country at Rose Hill.
The Bluffton, S.C., facility offers six clay courts (three lighted), four permanent 36-foot courts for youth tennis, a clubhouse with pro shop, stringing, showers and lockers, and social areas and a kitchen for member events. With a lower price point than other clubs, Staples says Rose Hill’s approach is to “build from the bottom up.”
Cox notes that the logistics and layout of the club enable them to offer clinics, practices and matches concurrently. Staples and Cox say they’re proud to be partners with the USTA, which has helped with support for the youth tennis courts, and even filmed a 10-and-under tennis coaching course on-site.
“Rose Hill is a dream club designed by two of the best and most experienced tennis professionals in the country,” says Kirk Anderson, director for coach education at the USTA. “Butch and Gavin have built a fantastic family-oriented facility and created a warm and friendly atmosphere. The club is everything you could want for players of any age or ability level.” — Cynthia Sherman
Tips for Success
- Make it family-friendly. Parents have no problem leaving their kids as they run errands, which builds relationships and is just good business.
- Partner with key organizations. Rose Hill’s affiliation with the USTA has helped with programming and in securing funding.
- Get talented and dedicated staff. In addition to Staples and Cox, the highly competent and involved staff includes another co-owner, Mike O’Regan, and Jo Cahi.
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Playtest: Tecnifibre Black Code 4S 17
- Our Serve: The Next Chapters
- Industry News
- Racquet Tech: Maintain Your Investment
- Retailing 137: The Power of ‘Hello’
- 2015 Tennis Summit: Industry Addresses Major Issues and Concerns
- Footwear: Kicking It Up
- The Evolution of Poly Strings
- Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards: Solid Solutions
- Your Serve: Fix Your Delivery!