Court Construction and Maintenance: Annual Excellence
The USTA’s Outstanding Facility Awards Program recognizes excellent facilities every year.
Each year the USTA honors tennis facilities that meet criteria that includes overall excellence in such areas as site layout, accommodations, aesthetics, amenities and programs that support the growth of tennis. For 2012, the 31st Annual USTA Facility Awards program honored seven facilities, and one of those was selected for special recognition.
The Courts at Gabe Nesbitt Community Park in McKinney, TX, was named the USTA’s Outstanding Facility of the Year and honored during the Awards Breakfast at the USTA’s Semi-Annual Meeting held in New York during the US Open. Earlier, that facility along with the six other Outstanding Facilities were recognized during the USTA Technical Committee meeting.
Each of the winning facilities were praised for their implementation of USTA programs, including 10 and Under Tennis. “We are proud to recognize these facilities for their continued devotion to the sport,” said Kurt Kamperman, the USTA’s chief executive of Community Tennis. “The facilities have embraced 10 and Under Tennis and other initiatives that help grow the game, exposing thousands of new players to the sport each year.”
To be considered for an award, facilities must be under the jurisdiction of a parks and recreation department, an educational institution, a non-profit corporation, or private or commercially-owned and -operated facilities that offer both USTA and public programming designed to help grow tennis.
The 2012 recipients were selected based on criteria that included the following:
- Overall layout and adaptation to the site.
- Excellence of court surface and lights.
- Ease of maintenance.
- Accommodations for players, spectators, press/officials.
- Aesthetics: Graphical representation of facility, use of signs, landscaping, etc.
- Amenities: Casual seating for spectators, food services, and social area.
- Programs supporting the USTA and the growth of tennis overall.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center