USPTA Member of the Year: David Porter
“Dave Porter is one of the best educators — if not the best — I’ve ever known,” says USPTA CEO Tim Heckler. “He not only implements his own methods of teaching, but has also spent many hours studying those of other great teachers in the world. He is a person of impeccable ethics and is dedicated to the improvement of the tennis-teaching profession.”
Porter of Laie, Hawaii, has taught tennis for more than 35 years and been a USPTA member for more than 25 years. In September, Porter was honored with the association’s top annual member award, the Alex Gordon Award for the USPTA Professional of the Year. And now, he adds RSI’s USPTA Member of the Year honors to his resume.
A USPTA Master Professional, Porter has been a USPTA Head Tester since 1988 and has served on the National Board from 1994 to 2007, including serving as the national president from 2003 to 2005. In addition, he has served as chairman of the education committee and the chairman of the testing and certification committee. He has also been a speaker at numerous USPTA divisional conventions and national conferences.
Currently the head tennis coach at Brigham Young University–Hawaii, where he also teaches courses in the Exercise and Sports Science Department, Porter has a record of 1,193 wins and 145 losses over his college coaching career, and he has never lost a conference match in women’s tennis during his career. His BYU–Hawaii women’s team is the three-time Pacific West Conference champions (2010, 2011, 2012). He has also taught or worked with several nationally ranked tour players, including Zheng Jie and Li Na.
Tips for Success
- There are no menial tasks, there are only menial attitudes.
- Do It! Do It Right! Do It Right Now!
- Remember that when playing tennis, “Hard is good, but in is better.”
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of Tennis Industry magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Eye on the Ball
- Industry News
- Racquet Tech: For Easy Grommet Installation, It’s About Finesse, Not Force
- Retailing 140: Understanding and Measuring Conversion
- Tennis Industry Hall of Fame: Peter Burwash Honored As Industry HOF Inductee
- US Open: Raising the Roof!
- Tennis Teaching Pros: Tennis Director of the Future
- The Passionate Player: The Tennis Congress Cure
- Grassroots Tennis: Play It Forward!