USPTA Member of the Year: David Porter
“Dave Porter is one of the best educators — if not the best — I’ve ever known,” says USPTA CEO Tim Heckler. “He not only implements his own methods of teaching, but has also spent many hours studying those of other great teachers in the world. He is a person of impeccable ethics and is dedicated to the improvement of the tennis-teaching profession.”
Porter of Laie, Hawaii, has taught tennis for more than 35 years and been a USPTA member for more than 25 years. In September, Porter was honored with the association’s top annual member award, the Alex Gordon Award for the USPTA Professional of the Year. And now, he adds RSI’s USPTA Member of the Year honors to his resume.
A USPTA Master Professional, Porter has been a USPTA Head Tester since 1988 and has served on the National Board from 1994 to 2007, including serving as the national president from 2003 to 2005. In addition, he has served as chairman of the education committee and the chairman of the testing and certification committee. He has also been a speaker at numerous USPTA divisional conventions and national conferences.
Currently the head tennis coach at Brigham Young University–Hawaii, where he also teaches courses in the Exercise and Sports Science Department, Porter has a record of 1,193 wins and 145 losses over his college coaching career, and he has never lost a conference match in women’s tennis during his career. His BYU–Hawaii women’s team is the three-time Pacific West Conference champions (2010, 2011, 2012). He has also taught or worked with several nationally ranked tour players, including Zheng Jie and Li Na.
Tips for Success
- There are no menial tasks, there are only menial attitudes.
- Do It! Do It Right! Do It Right Now!
- Remember that when playing tennis, “Hard is good, but in is better.”
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of RSI magazine.
RSI magazine search
RSI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Retailing 125: Plan Your Holiday Gift Guide
- Catching Up With Catarina Lindqvist
- Accessories: Keeping a Grip on the Racquet
- Equipment: Prince Shows New Product, Strategies to Key Dealers
- 30 under 30
- Apparel Preview: All-court game
- Footwear Preview: Running in place?
- Ball Machines Step Up The Game
- Your Serve: Creative Solutions to Filling Open Court Time