Outstanding Facility-Of-The-Year Awards: Wow Factor!
RSI and ASBA bring you the best in tennis court construction and design.
In 2011, there were 28 tennis winners in the RSI/American Sports Builders Association Facility-of-the-Year Awards program. Exactly half of those winning facilities were private, residential court projects — a huge increase from previous years, and possibly an indication that while municipal projects may be affected by the economy, homeowners with means still are finding ways to develop outstanding private courts.
Each year, based on entries submitted by an ASBA member who designed or built the facility or court, the association selects outstanding tennis facilities that meet the standard of excellence in design and construction determined by the judging committee. For 2011, the panel of judges deemed 28 courts or facilities to be worthy of special recognition, but three of those winners were chosen for “Outstanding” honors:
- Hunt Logan Tennis Facility at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Conn.
- Gordon Residence in Boca Raton, Fla.
- Belle Meade Country Club in Nashville, Tenn.
Award plaques to the three Outstanding winners and the 25 “Distinguished” winners were presented at the ASBA Technical Meeting held in December in Palm Springs.
Distinguished Facility Honors
In addition to the Hunt Logan Tennis Facility, Gordon Residence, and Belle Meade Country Club, these 25 locations were chosen by the 2011 panel of judges for the ASBA as excellent examples of court construction, receiving Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards. You’ll read more about them in upcoming issues of RSI.
(The nominating company is in parentheses.)
- Berce Residence, Frankville, Wis. (Munson Inc.)
- Berkshire School Tennis Facility, Sheffield, Mass. (Cape & Island Tennis & Track)
- Blackhawk School District Tennis Facility, Beaver Falls, Pa. (Vasco Sports Construction)
- Boca Raton Tennis Center, Boca Raton, Fla. (Welch Tennis Courts Inc.)
- Dr. Bourne Residence, Salt Lake City, Utah (Tennis and Track Co.)
- Butternut Hollow Residence Indoor Court, Greenwich, Conn. (Global Sports & Tennis Design Group LLC)
- Cohen Residence, Weston, Mass. (Cape & Island Tennis & Track)
- Colorado State Univ. Tennis Facility, Fort Collins, Colo. (Renner Sports Surfaces)
- Cox Residence, Ogden, Utah (Tennis and Track Co.)
- Crossland/Kirkpatrick Residence, Napa, Calif. (Vintage Contractors Inc.)
- Elkin Municipal Courts — Tom Gwyn Tennis Complex, Elkin, N.C. (Court One)
- Fish Hawk Ranch Tennis Center, Valrico, Fla. (Welch Tennis Courts Inc.)
- Florence Tennis Center, Florence, S.C. (Talbot Tennis)
- Gin Lane Residence, Long Island, N.Y. (Global Sports & Tennis Design Group LLC)
- Goddard USD 265 Sports Complex, Goddard, Kan. (Mid-America Courtworks)
- Goodale Park, West Boylston, Mass. (Warner Larson Inc.)
- JJJ Ranch, Dawson, Texas (Patriot Court Systems Inc.)
- Kirslis Residence, Norwell, Mass. (Boston Tennis Court Construction Co. Inc.)
- New Orleans City Park/Pepsi Tennis Center, New Orleans, La. (American Tennis Courts Inc.)
- Polo Park Tennis Facility, Miami Beach, Fla. (Fast-Dry Courts)
- Private Residence, Glen Ellen, Calif. (Vintage Contractors Inc.)
- Private Residence, Miami Beach, Fla. (Fast-Dry Courts)
- Quarry Beach Club Tennis Center, Naples, Fla. (Welch Tennis Courts Inc.)
- Richard Schmidt Residence Indoor Court, West Linn, Ore. (Atlas Track & Tennis)
- Roberts Residence, Wellesley, Mass. (Cape & Island Tennis & Track)
For details on the 2012 Outstanding Facility-of-the-Year Awards, contact the ASBA at 866-501-ASBA or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit sportsbuilders.org.
Outdoor Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award: Hunt Logan Tennis Facility at Choate Rosemary Hall
This upgrade of the existing facility involved the demolition and rebuilding of 14 tennis courts with a Plexipave Professional Grade surface. The project included handicap access, drainage, viewing areas, utilities, fencing and surfacing. New walkways were constructed of brown stone cobble. The landscape had been meticulously tended for more than 80 years, and one of the biggest challenges was preserving existing hedges, cherry trees and flowers.
Nominated by: Cape & Island Tennis & Track
Architect/Engineer: CHA Sports/James Boudreau & Richard Webb
Contractor: Cape & Island Tennis & Track
Suppliers: California Products, Douglas Sports Nets & Equipment, J.A. Cissel, Cape & Island Tennis & Track, ACO Sport
Number of Courts: 14
Completed: September 2010
Residential Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award: Gordon Residence
Boca Raton, Fla.
Design and function took center stage on this new residential court, designed to blend into the landscape and have a sunken stadium court feel. A landscape retaining wall addressed the site’s major slope issues. After excavating the site, extra machinery had to be brought in to break up bedrock to dig footers for the light pole foundations. The sub-irrigated, lighted Har-Tru HydroBlend court has a 24-foot hitting wall at one end and a cabana for player comfort.
Nominated by: Fast-Dry Courts
Architect/Engineer: Fast-Dry Courts
Contractor: Fast-Dry Courts
Suppliers: Har-Tru Sports, Fast-Dry Courts, Techlight
Completed: December 2010
Indoor Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award: Belle Meade Country Club
When floods ravaged the Nashville area in spring 2010, about 4 feet of water damaged the indoor courts at Belle Meade CC, forcing the contractor to dig out the asphalt base and replace it with a post-tension concrete base, topped by a cushioned acrylic surface. The renovated and upgraded facility now has new backdrop and divider curtains, column pads and net post hardware. And members were able to hit the courts before Christmas that year.
Nominated by: Baseline Sports Construction LLC
Specialty Contractor: Baseline Sports Construction LLC
Suppliers: California Products (DecoTurf), Edwards/Athletic Connection, Putterman Athletics
Number of Courts: 8
Completed: December 2010
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: USRSA — Past, Present, and Future
- Industry News
- Racquet Tech: Mastering the Weave
- Retailing 144: Human Contact — a Rare and Valuable Commodity
- New Junior Recognition Program Stresses Sportsmanship
- Grassroots Tennis: Play It Forward!
- Footwear: Stepping in the Right Direction
- Racquet Stringing: Skill Set
- Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards: Hard Acts to Follow