Facilities: Annual Excellence
The USTA’s Outstanding Facility Awards Program recognizes excellent facilities every year.
Every year the USTA honors tennis facilities that meet criteria that includes overall excellence in such areas as site layout, accommodations, aesthetics, amenities and programs that support the growth of tennis. For 2011, the 30th year of the Outstanding Facility Awards program, nine facilities were honored, and one of those was selected for special recognition.
The Jonesville Tennis Center in Gainesville, Fla., was named the USTA’s Outstanding Facility of the Year and honored during the Awards Breakfast at the USTA’s Semi-Annual Meeting held in New York during the US Open. A day earlier, Jonesville Tennis Center along with the other eight Outstanding Facilities were recognized during the USTA Technical Committee meeting.
“I’m delighted to recognize these facilities that promote and develop tennis in their communities,” said Jon Vegosen, USTA president and chairman of the board, in presenting plaques to tennis directors or managers of the nine facilities. Each winner has a 10 and Under Tennis component as part of their programming.
The 2011 recipients, in four award categories, were selected based on the following:
- Overall layout and adaptation to the site.
- Excellence of court surface and lights.
- Ease of maintenance.
- Accommodations for players, spectators, press/officials.
- Aesthetics: Graphical representation of facility, use of signs, landscaping, etc.
- Amenities: Casual seating for spectators, food services, and social area.
- Programs supporting the USTA and the growth of tennis overall.
For more information on the USTA’s Outstanding Facility Awards program, and to find out how to nominate facilities, visit usta.com/facilityawards, or email email@example.com.
Private Facility Winners
- Centercourt Athletic Club, Chatham, N.J.
- River Hills Club, Jackson, Miss.
- Jaime Kaplan Tennis Center, Macon, Ga.
Large Tennis Centers (11 or more courts)
- Jonesville Tennis Center, Gainesville, Fla. (Featured Facility Winner)
- Southlake Tennis Center, Southlake, Texas
- The Tennis Center at Steamboat Springs, Steamboat Springs, Colo.
- Wagon Wheel Tennis Center, Coppell, Texas
Small Tennis Centers (2-10 courts)
- Lone Tree Park & Tennis Center, Littleton, Colo.
- QuickStart Courts at Kiest Park, Dallas, Texas
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Try It, You’ll Like It …
- Industry News
- RacquetTech: Weave Your Way to Consistency
- Retailing 136: Your Path to Profits
- Junior Play: Team Spirit
- Racquet Service: It’s Time for A Tune-Up
- Apparel Trends: High-Tech Fabrics Take Performance to a Higher Level
- Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards: Soft Goods
- Racquet Selection: Finding the Perfect Fit