USPTA Member of the Year: Ron Woods
Ron Woods has been in the tennis business for 45 years — and a USPTA member for 44 of those years. In that time, he’s held key positions within the USPTA — including president, executive committee member and chairman of various committees.
But Woods, of Corpus Christi, Texas, also has been involved beyond the USPTA, serving on national USTA committees and with the USTA Texas Section. And he gives back — raising money for the Tennis Success Program, a nonprofit in Corpus Christi for youngsters. He also has hosted a Tennis Across America event for the last 20 years, and he’s president of the Corpus Christi Tennis Association. For all this and more, Woods is RSI’s 2010 USPTA Member of the Year.
“I just love being around tennis people,” says Woods. “I’ve met and been around highly successful and motivated individuals, and I’ve learned a lot.” Woods started playing tennis when he was 12. He played at the University of Houston, then started his career as an assistant pro in 1965. He was the director of tennis at the Corpus Christi Country Club from 1970 to 2001.
In 1987, Woods was named USPTA Texas Pro of the Year, and in 1994 he won the Texas Proud Award. This past fall, he became a USPTA Master Pro, then received one of the organization’s highest honors, the Alex Gordon Award for USPTA Professional of the Year.
“Ron has always been too busy serving USPTA and his fellow pros to seek recognition for himself,” says USPTA CEO Tim Heckler. “It’s extremely fitting that he received the avalanche of credit he was due at this year’s USPTA awards ceremony.”
Tips for success
- To increase your chances for success, partner with others who are successful.
- It’s important to go to industry events and conferences to stay current with what’s going on, and to pick up ideas on making your programs successful.
- As a teaching pro, playing tournaments keeps you fit and gives you a sense of what recreational players are thinking.
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Our Guiding Lights
- Industry news
- ‘Coach Youth Tennis’ Hits A Winner with Providers
- Pioneers in Tennis: The Wit and Warmth of Vic Braden
- Person of the Year: Bahram Akradi
- Private Facility of the Year: Army Navy Country Club
- Stringer of the Year: David Yamane
- Builder of the Year: Trans Texas Tennis
- Sales Rep of the Year: Allan Iverson
- Tennis Advocate of the Year: Shima and Joe Grover