Private facility of the year: The Polo Club
There are a few tennis facilities in the U.S. that you continually hear great things about. The Polo Club in Boca Raton is one of them. This Florida facility has 29 Har-Tru tennis courts (11 with lights) and a dynamic, innovative and social tennis program.
Of course, The Polo Club caters to its 3,300 members, but it also reaches beyond it borders. For instance, since 1986, the club has hosted the USTA’s Girls’ National 12-and-Under tournament, and it continues to host other events and tourneys, including pro-celebrity charity events by Chris Evert and Andy Roddick and ITF events. Tennis and Spa Director Jean Mills (photo above) also points out that the club has donated more than $10 million to tennis in Israel, and contributed over $400,000 to breast cancer awareness and treatment.
Topnotch service for members, combined with a welcoming and giving environment for all tennis fans, help to make The Polo Club a winner — and RSI’s 2010 Private Facility of the Year.
The tennis center features clinics, lessons, game-matching and doubles and singles events. Mario Valle has been the head pro and tennis director since 1992. “I have a great team whose strength is being able to anticipate different situations then handling them perfectly,” he says.
“As our membership grows and ages, you have to do different, innovative programs and formats,” says Mills, who’s been at The Polo Club for 25 years. “The best part about Polo has been how it’s changed and grown.”
Tips for success
- Exceptional staff will make everyone feel special.
- Make sure you have great programming that caters to the needs of both social and competitive players.
- Listen to your members. Your goals should exceed their expectations.
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
RSI magazine search
RSI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Retailing 125: Plan Your Holiday Gift Guide
- Catching Up With Catarina Lindqvist
- Accessories: Keeping a Grip on the Racquet
- Equipment: Prince Shows New Product, Strategies to Key Dealers
- 30 under 30
- Apparel Preview: All-court game
- Footwear Preview: Running in place?
- Ball Machines Step Up The Game
- Your Serve: Creative Solutions to Filling Open Court Time