2009 USPTA Member of the Year: Robert Greene Jr.
In recognition of a career of accomplishments spanning more than 30 years, Robert Greene Jr. of Rangeley, Maine, has been recognized with the 2003 International Tennis Hall of Fame’s Tennis Educational Merit Award and 2009 USPTA Alex Gordon National Professional of the Year Award. He is a two-time USPTA New England Division Pro of the Year winner and five-time USPTA New England Division Tester of the Year. Now, he can add RSI’s 2009 USPTA Member of the Year to his accolades.
“Bob’s industry experience, including his tennis-teaching career and volunteer service, demonstrates his talent for educating both on and off the court,” says USPTA CEO Tim Heckler. “He’s among the USPTA’s most active members and has demonstrated his dedication through years of volunteer service as a teacher, committee member, mentor and speaker. His commitment to teaching and volunteering has ensured our game’s success with perhaps hundreds of potential new players.”
Greene, director of tennis at the Balsams Grand Resort Hotel in Dixville Notch, N.H., has shared his passion for tennis and breadth of knowledge through USPTA and USTA committees and national workshops. He has been equally committed to giving back to the community through USPTA Free Lesson Days and as a volunteer coach with Tenacity, a non-profit organization in Boston.
Greene is as adept at teaching beginners as he is advising touring pros — and enjoys both. Ultimately, he hopes to run tennis camps for aspiring touring pros, similar to the one he attended under the guidance of Fred Perry in the late 1970s.
“I’m always looking for ways to grow this great game,” he says.
Tips for success
- Network with fellow teaching pros. You’ll learn lessons that can’t be found in manuals.
- Invest in yourself by seeking development opportunities.
- Promote yourself as well as the game: Offering free lessons is one way to showcase your expertise and benefit the industry.
See all articles by Cynthia Cantrell
About the Author
Cynthia Cantrell is a contributing editor of RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Creating That Collaborative Spirit
- Our Serve: Catching Adult Players
- Industry News
- Racquet Tech: ATW and Box Patterns
- Footwear: Bottom Liners
- Tennis History Hall of Fame Reopens After Major Renovation
- TI Champions of Tennis Honor Roll
- Cardio Tennis: Reaching Their Cardio Summit
- Nylon vs. Poly