2009 USPTA Member of the Year: Robert Greene Jr.
In recognition of a career of accomplishments spanning more than 30 years, Robert Greene Jr. of Rangeley, Maine, has been recognized with the 2003 International Tennis Hall of Fame’s Tennis Educational Merit Award and 2009 USPTA Alex Gordon National Professional of the Year Award. He is a two-time USPTA New England Division Pro of the Year winner and five-time USPTA New England Division Tester of the Year. Now, he can add RSI’s 2009 USPTA Member of the Year to his accolades.
“Bob’s industry experience, including his tennis-teaching career and volunteer service, demonstrates his talent for educating both on and off the court,” says USPTA CEO Tim Heckler. “He’s among the USPTA’s most active members and has demonstrated his dedication through years of volunteer service as a teacher, committee member, mentor and speaker. His commitment to teaching and volunteering has ensured our game’s success with perhaps hundreds of potential new players.”
Greene, director of tennis at the Balsams Grand Resort Hotel in Dixville Notch, N.H., has shared his passion for tennis and breadth of knowledge through USPTA and USTA committees and national workshops. He has been equally committed to giving back to the community through USPTA Free Lesson Days and as a volunteer coach with Tenacity, a non-profit organization in Boston.
Greene is as adept at teaching beginners as he is advising touring pros — and enjoys both. Ultimately, he hopes to run tennis camps for aspiring touring pros, similar to the one he attended under the guidance of Fred Perry in the late 1970s.
“I’m always looking for ways to grow this great game,” he says.
Tips for success
- Network with fellow teaching pros. You’ll learn lessons that can’t be found in manuals.
- Invest in yourself by seeking development opportunities.
- Promote yourself as well as the game: Offering free lessons is one way to showcase your expertise and benefit the industry.
See all articles by Cynthia Cantrell
About the Author
Cynthia Cantrell is a contributing editor of RSI magazine.
RSI magazine search
RSI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Retailing 125: Plan Your Holiday Gift Guide
- Catching Up With Catarina Lindqvist
- Accessories: Keeping a Grip on the Racquet
- Equipment: Prince Shows New Product, Strategies to Key Dealers
- 30 under 30
- Apparel Preview: All-court game
- Footwear Preview: Running in place?
- Ball Machines Step Up The Game
- Your Serve: Creative Solutions to Filling Open Court Time