2009 Private facility of the year: Reynolds Plantation
Alongside picturesque Lake Oconee sits Reynolds Plantation, in the town of Greensboro, Ga., 75 miles east of Atlanta. This private community is host to the award-winning Lake Club Tennis Center, with its four hard and four clay courts — and an array of programming for all ages and all levels.
Impeccable service and attention to detail are hallmarks for this facility, which is run by Director of Tennis Dave Neuhart, a Peter Burwash International pro. The programs and services are all “very member-driven,” he says. And it’s the all-around attention to its members and programs that have helped to make Reynolds Plantation RSI’s 2009 Private Facility of the Year.
The site has received many honors, including being named a Top 50 Tennis Welcome Center and winning a 2009 USTA Outstanding Facility award. “We work hard to provide the best in tennis for our members and guests,” says Neuhart, who was named PBI Tennis Professional of the Year in 2000.
“Dave’s patience and attention to detail are second to none,” says Bill Dopp of the USTA Southern Section. “And his tennis center has a growing membership.”
“Players have a lot of opportunities to get involved with guests and community members,” says Neuhart. The club has a “tennis concierge” to get players together, and there is never a lack of Cardio Tennis, leagues, clinics and private instruction.
There are junior programs as well, along with social activities, mixers, and round-robins. And members get free lessons from PBI teaching pros there to train. The fully-stocked pro shop carries all major brands of racquets, apparel, and footwear.
The club, says Neuhart, “probably comprises one of the friendliest memberships anywhere.”
Tips for success
- Sweat the small stuff. For members, it’s the attention to detail that counts.
- Monthly themed activities, and other events, help keep it very “member- driven.”
- Get people playing — and having fun on court — right away.
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: It’s a Simple Question, But …
- Industry News
- Tennis Facilities: Community Services
- Retailing 128: Basic Training
- Stringing for Indoor Racquet Sports
- Tennis Footwear: Performance Artists
- Court Construction & Maintenance Guide: Bright Ideas
- Court Construction & Maintenance Guide: ‘Growing’ Pains?
- Court Construction & Maintenance Guide: Cleaning Solution