2007 PTR member of the year: Luke Jensen
Passion, expertise, and enthusiasm in promoting the PTR are just a few of the qualities that PTR executives say make Luke Jensen a very special member. Jensen joined the PTR two years ago, and since that time, he has actively promoted the PTR to touring pros and the tennis community, including taking the PTR On Campus program to Syracuse University, where he coaches the women’s tennis team.
“Whether he’s speaking at a symposium or teaching clinics, Luke is accessible and great for the game,” says PTR International Director Inaki Balzola. “He’s smart, open-minded and a constant ambassador for tennis.” And for all of these qualities and more, Luke Jensen is RSI’s choice for PTR Member of the Year.
Jensen, who won 10 pro doubles titles, including the 1993 French Open doubles crown with his brother Murphy, is currently a tennis analyst for ESPN. He says his teaching philosophy comes down to “having and following a long-range plan and committing to it.” He insists that a teacher should always “evolve” and “adapt.”
“It was important for me to get certified and learn how to fix my own problems,” he says, adding that he wants more young people to seek a career in tennis. “There’s a real opportunity in American tennis, and I want to make sure kids are given the right conditions, attitude and game, along with the willingness to commit.”
“Luke,” says PTR Executive Director and CEO Dan Santorum, “represents the next generation of high-profile teaching pros and makes a difference wherever he goes.”
Tips for success
- Education and college is important for aspiring tennis pros. Jensen points to James Blake and John Isner as great examples of what hard work and persistence in tennis and school can do.
- Understand the fundamentals of the game before moving to the next level.
- Practice smarter, you’ll beat the other guy.
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Retailing 125: Plan Your Holiday Gift Guide
- Catching Up With Catarina Lindqvist
- Accessories: Keeping a Grip on the Racquet
- Equipment: Prince Shows New Product, Strategies to Key Dealers
- 30 under 30
- Apparel Preview: All-court game
- Footwear Preview: Running in place?
- Ball Machines Step Up The Game
- Your Serve: Creative Solutions to Filling Open Court Time