Texas A&M Wins Again at National Campus Championship
The Texas A&M University Aggies took home its fourth consecutive USTA National Campus Championship title in April, defeating the University of Virginia in the championship match. It was the Aggies fifth title in six years, and Virginia’s third appearance in the last four finals.
The Aggies have now won 29 straight matches at the nationals over the past four years, and have reached the past six finals. The event, presented by Tennis Warehouse, was held at the Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C. Sixty-four club and intramural teams from colleges and universities throughout the country participated this year. The University of Florida placed third, and Penn State fourth.
Among the schools represented this year was Virginia Tech, a campus that was still reeling from the shooting tragedy just a week earlier. A number of players and tournament staff wore maroon and orange ribbons throughout the event to show their support for Virginia Tech and its team.
More than 400 colleges and 25,000 students currently participate in the Tennis On Campus program, which features co-ed teams playing in World TeamTennis format. The USTA National Campus Championship is the culmination of the Tennis On Campus season. The tournament is administered in partnership by the USTA, National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association, Intercollegiate Tennis Association and World TeamTennis.
See all articles by Kristen Daley
About the Author
Kristen Daley is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Playtest: Yonex PolyTour Spin G 125
- Our Serve: Tennis, and the Top 20 Fitness Trends
- Industry News
- Customer Service: Simplify The Selection of a New Racquet
- Facility Operations: Simple Secrets to Superior Service and Sales
- Retailing 135: Back to Basics!
- Executive Point: Steve Simon, Tournament Director, BNP Paribas Open
- Recreational Play: ROG Balls and Shorter Courts Aren’t Just for Kids!
- Facility Manager’s Manual: Behavior Modification?
- Outlook 2015: Racquets — It’s All about the Fit