- Steve Bellamy, the founder of The Tennis Channel, is launching The Ski Channel in early 2008, in conjunction with his company, Atonal Sports and Entertainment. Bellamy said the network will focus on “everything you can do on a mountain … literally hundreds of activities.” Bellamy, who owns the Palisades Tennis Center in California, also says he recently acquired the Westwood Tennis Center.
- Prince Sports has added Daniela Hantuchova to its list of sponsored athletes. Hantuchova, currently No. 13 in the world, contacted Prince about switching to the O3 White racquet prior to this year’s Pacific Life Open. Hantuchova later captured the title at the Pacific Life Open.
- K-Swiss has signed Anna Kournikova to endorse its shoes. She appears in advertising and on the company’s website, kswiss.com.
- Former World No. 1 Kim Clijsters announced her immediate retirement from pro tennis in early May. The 23-year-old, who was still ranked No. 4 at the time of her announcement, said injuries have led to fatigue, a lack of motivation, and a decline in play. Clijsters has been playing for 10 years and won 34 career singles titles.
- Dunlop player Nicolas Almagro of Spain won his second straight title at the Valencia Open in April. Ranked 32 in the world, Almagro plays with a Dunlop Aerogel racquet.
- Florida-based ATP touring pro Taylor Dent has become a certified Professional 1 member of the USPTA. Dent, who tested in Kansas City, Mo., at the Homestead Country Club under USPTA testers Gary Trost, Bunny Bruning and Kendell Hale, earned his USPTA certification after an extensive examination of tennis operations management skills, tennis-teaching skills, stroke analysis, and demonstrations of group and private lessons.
- Andre Agassi will receive the second annual Eugene L. Scott Award at “The Legends Ball” in New York City this September. The award is presented to an individual who embodies the Tennis Week founder’s commitment to communicating honestly and critically about the game, and who has had a significant impact on the game.
- Jelena Jankovic kicked off her clay court season in dramatic fashion by winning the 2007 Family Circle Cup in April. The No. 6-ranked pro plays with a Prince O3 Red racquet.
- In his first competitive tournament since beating Andre Agassi in the 2002 US Open final, Pete Sampras won the 2007 Champions Cup Boston title in May.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center