Mark of Distinction
RSI and the ASBA bring you the best in tennis court construction.
Once again, we’re proud to have joined with the American Sports Builders Association to bring you examples of excellence in tennis court construction.
Each year, based on entries submitted by an ASBA member — whether a contractor, designer, or supplier — the association selects outstanding tennis facilities that meet the standard of excellence determined by the judging committee. For 2006, there were 25 courts or tennis facilities that were deemed outstanding — or “distinguished,” as the award now reads — by the panel of judges.
Four of those entries, however, were chosen for special honors: the Boars Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va., received the Indoor Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award; Columbine Country Club in Littleton, Colo., received the Outdoor Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award; the Vanderbeek Residential Court in Warren, N.J., received the Residential Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award; and the Pennington-Ewing Athletic Club in Ewing, N.J. received the Indoor Multi-Purpose Facility-of-the-Year Award.
The Boars Head Sports Club expanded its existing three indoor courts by adding nine more cushioned hard courts, and now all 12 indoor courts feature ICA’s Elite indirect light fixtures. The award-winning sports club, which is affiliated with the University of Virginia, also has 14 outdoor tennis courts.
The Columbine Country Club upgraded its outdoor facility. Five existing asphalt courts were overlaid with post-tensioned concrete, and two new fast-dry courts with subsurface irrigation were also installed, along with fencing, windscreens, and bench seating. Also, 5-foot-wide sidewalks were installed leading to courts.
The new synthetic turf court at the Vanderbeek residence was built into the side of a steep hill and required a retaining wall nearly 20 feet high. More than 60 truckloads of rock was removed from the solid bedrock hillside, then 3,000 cubic yards of fill dirt was brought in, requiring five separate permits, to build up the court area. After completion of an upper retaining wall, access to the court was limited to foot traffic, so all remaining materials had to be lowered by crane.
The multi-purpose Pennington-Ewing Athletic Center has two indoor hard courts where members and their guests can play and take lessons and clinics. The facility also includes three racquetball courts, two international squash courts, an indoor track, basketball court area, cardio area, and other workout rooms.
In addition to the Boars Head Sports Club, Columbine Country Club, Vanderbeek Residential Court, and Pennington-Ewing Athletic Club, these 21 locations were chosen by the 2006 panel of judges for the ASBA as excellent examples of court construction, receiving Distinguished Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Awards. You’ll read more about them in upcoming issues of Racquet Sports Industry. (The nominating company is in parentheses.)
- Ace Insurance Co., Hamilton, Bermuda (Classic Turf Co.)
- Bath Club, Miami Beach, Fla. (Fast-Dry Cos.)
- Boulevard Club, Vero Beach, Fla. (Fast-Dry Cos.)
- Center Court Ridge at Reunion Resort & Club, Kissimmee, Fla. (Welch Tennis Courts)
- Centre Court Racquet Club, Louisville, Tenn. (Baseline Sports Construction LLC)
- Clayton Residence, Carmel, Ind. (Leslie Coatings Inc.)
- Ellis Methvin Tennis Center, Plant City, Fla. (Welch Tennis Courts)
- Fleckenstein Tennis Facility, Mukwonago, Wis. (Munson Inc.)
- Gooch Residence, Rumson, N.J. (The Racquet Shop)
- Hillsboro Club, Hillsboro, Fla. (Fast-Dry Cos.)
- Kenyon Athletic Center, Gambier, Ohio (DecoSystems)
- Lombard Street Reservoir/Alice Marble Tennis Center, San Francisco (Vintage Contractors Inc.)
- Powell Residence, Gladwyne, Pa. (Pro-Sport Construction)
- Robinson Residence, Radnor, Pa. (Pro-Sport Construction)
- Seiderman Residence, Parkland, Fla. (Fast-Dry Cos.)
- The Club at Olde Stone, Alvaton, Ky. (Welch Tennis Courts)
- The Club at River Forest, Forsythe, Ga. (Welch Tennis Courts)
- Tivoli Lakes Tennis Center, Boynton Beach, Fla. (Welch Tennis Courts)
- USPTA World Headquarters, Houston (Dobbs Tennis Courts)
- Vaughn Athletic Center-Fox Valley Park District, Aurora, Ill. (Kiefer Specialty Flooring Inc.)
- Wilson Residence, Rixeyville, Va. (Lawn Tennis & Supply Co. Inc.)
Outdoor Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award
Columbine Country Club
Architect/Engineer: Renner Sports Surfaces, Denver
General/Specialty Contractor: Renner Sports Surfaces
Surface: Lee Tennis
Nets, Net Posts, Windscreens: Douglas Industries
Residential Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award
General Contractor: Pro-Sport Construction, Inc.
Lights: LSI Lighting
Nets, Net Posts, Windscreens: J.A. Cissel
Indoor Multi-Purpose Facility-of-the-Year Award
Pennington-Ewing Athletic Club
Specialty Contractor: Sportsline Inc.
Suppliers: M. Putterman, J.A. Cissel, Re-Tek
Surface: California Products
Indoor Tennis Facility-of-the-Year Award
Boars Head Sports Club
Specialty Contractor: ICA Sports, Olathe, Kan.
For details on the 2007 Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards, contact the ASBA at 866-501-ASBA or email@example.com.
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of RSI magazine.