2006 Municipal facility of the year: Cary Tennis Park
According to Money magazine, Cary, N.C., is among the top five places to live in the U.S. In this Research Triangle city of 106,000 people, the economy is strong, arts and culture are thriving, and great schools and beautiful parks abound.
Now, though, Cary has something else to promote: The 30-court Cary Tennis Park is RSI’s 2006 Municipal Facility of the Year winner.
The versatile complex, which opened in 2002, includes a stadium court (seating 2,500) and a teaching court, a pro shop, lockers, and backboards. The park’s landscaping and layout enhance the experience for players and spectators alike. Programs are plentiful for all ages and skill levels, including a development program for new players starting at age 4, a junior academy program, and a high-school team tennis program, among others. The Challenge Singles ladder has more than 120 adult players. Also, the facility hosts about 20 big events each year.
Linda Smith supervises the facility, and nine teaching pros operate under the direction of Sean Ferreira. Jonathan Fralick is the head pro and Donny Weed is the juniors coordinator.
“The staff understands the community, which results in something very vibrant,” says Virgil Christian, the USTA’s director of community development, who used to work at the Cary facility. “The outstanding management skills of Linda and Sean, coupled with the vision of Parks Director Mary Henderson, result in a very well-designed, outstanding facility. They really get it!”
Cary Tennis Park’s tips for success
- Invest in quality people. It will help in all aspects of your programming and facility management.
- Provide quality programs with a clear pathway for player development — and don’t compromise.
- Develop a niche, such as a tournament or a program, that your facility will be recognized for and will set you apart from everybody else.
- Invest in quality people. It can never be repeated enough.
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Retailing 136: Your Path to Profits
- Junior Play: Team Spirit
- Racquet Service: It’s Time for A Tune-Up
- Apparel Trends: High-Tech Fabrics Take Performance to a Higher Level
- Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards: Soft Goods
- Racquet Selection: Finding the Perfect Fit
- Playtest: Tecnifibre XR3 17
- Your Serve: Respecting the Wisdom of a Lesson Taught Years Ago
- Our Serve: Mainstream Marketing
- Industry news