Lacing Systems that Enhance Fit
When it comes to tennis shoes, your players need to have a perfect fit. Wearing shoes that fit correctly will not only help your customers play their best tennis, but also, it can keep players from getting injured.
Many players, once they find a shoe that they think fits them and is comfortable, will typically stay with that shoe for a long time. But our feet change over time, and players need to make changes in their footwear, too, to get the best fit.
You can help your players get the perfect fit for their imperfect feet by suggesting various lacing systems that will reduce pressure in certain areas and allow the foot to move with fewer constraints. Based on common foot problems we encounter, the four lacing techniques below should help you customize the fit for your customers so they can play their best, and feel comfortable doing it.
Tips for a Perfect Fit
- Feet swell 5 to 10 percent during the day, so try on new shoes later in the day or just after exercise.
- Wear socks that are sport or shoe specific when trying on new shoes.
- Athletic shoes typically fit one-half to one-full size too small.
- Have your feet measured yearly.
- Don’t forget shoe weight: 1 ounce in the foot equals 1 pound in the hip.
- Avoid deep cutouts in the outsole of a shoe — it often means poor arch support.
For players with a wide foot and/or narrow heel
For players who have a high instep, heel slippage, or pins and needles
For players who have a normal foot with a narrow heel
For players with a narrow foot
See all articles by David Sharnoff
About the Author
David Sharnoff is a podiatrist in Shelton, Conn.. He is a longtime advisor to the WTA Tour and a member of Tennis magazine's Technical Advisory Panel. Dr. Sharnoff also is a longtime contributor to professional journals in the field of podiatric medicine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Re-Evaluating What We Do
- Industry News
- Court Construction: Making Dreams a Reality
- Racquet Tech: Following Directions
- Retailing Tip: There Are Still Only Three Ways To Grow Your Retail Biz!
- Apparel Retailing: Clothes Calls
- Distinguished Facility-of-the-Year Awards: Residential Development
- Community Tennis: Local Heroes
- String Playtest: Pacific Poly Force Black Series 1.20
- Your Serve: The Perfect Storm