Brookhaven Country Club -- Private Facility of the Year
In 2007, Brookhaven Country Club will be 50 years old. In that time, the Dallas facility — the largest and oldest in the ClubCorp organization (which currently consists of about 200 clubs) — has certainly learned how to do things right, says Ross Thornbrugh, the club’s manager.
Brookhaven’s 38 courts are impeccably maintained, its tennis programs (for juniors and adults) are active and alive, the staff is well-trained and oriented to customer service, and the pro shop is one of the best in the country. All of which are reasons why Brookhaven is RSI’s 2005 Private Facility of the Year.
Director of Tennis Billy Freer (right) has been with Brookhaven for 12 years, and he insists that he has one of the most qualified staffs around. More than 15 pros take the time to get to know each of the 1,200 tennis members. “It’s all about building relationships, getting to know your members, and enriching lives,” says Freer. “When new members join, it’s our job to quickly integrate them because it’s good for business.”
Brookhaven’s success is due in part to its “superior programs and match availability,” says John Gilpin, vice president of Adult Programs for the Dallas Tennis Association.
The club’s pro shop is one of the largest in north Texas. “We do about $500,000 worth of business a year and carry about $120,000 to $130,000 worth of inventory,” Freer says.
Says Wilson rep David Blakely, “Their forward thinking, professionalism, and attention to customer service is what every facility should strive for.”
Brookhaven’s tips for success
- Provide an atmosphere of superior customer service and attention to detail.
- Build a qualified, knowledgeable staff and superlative programs.
- Impeccable court and facility maintenance is a must.
- Keep a well-stocked, competitively priced pro shop.
See all articles by Cynthia Sherman
About the Author
Cynthia Sherman is a contributing editor for RSI magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Retailing 125: Plan Your Holiday Gift Guide
- Catching Up With Catarina Lindqvist
- Accessories: Keeping a Grip on the Racquet
- Equipment: Prince Shows New Product, Strategies to Key Dealers
- 30 under 30
- Apparel Preview: All-court game
- Footwear Preview: Running in place?
- Ball Machines Step Up The Game
- Your Serve: Creative Solutions to Filling Open Court Time